Friday, May 29, 2009

Ask David - FAQ

I get asked some questions time and time again. It makes sense to start compiling a public list of answers. Here is the start.

Q. What kind of camera should I buy?
A. The BEST you can AFFORD. If you want to take photography seriously do what you can to purchase the best digital SLR you can. For simplicity a Digital SLR is a camera body that enables you to change lenses. My advice is to NOT go into debt to make the purchase. If you are just getting your feet wet, eBay has lots of 2-3 year old models of Digital SLR's to choose from. Just because they are older technology does not mean that they make bad photographs.

Q. What type of lense should I use?
A. Type of lense to use depends on a number of situations. Again, buy the BEST you can AFFORD. You can also find decent deals on used lenses, however I recommend buying new to secure the warranty. The more you shoot the more wear and tear to your gear. Camera bodies come and go, but good Glass lasts a lifetime. Save, Save, Save to buy Great Glass. 2.8 Lenses or faster. Preferably from the manufacturer of your camera body (Nikon or Canon)

Q. What kind of equipment do you use?
A. Nikon Professional Equipment. I have been shooting Nikon since I first took photography seriously. I started with a film body called the Nikon N70 and never looked back. I love the way Nikon feels in my hands and their reliability. They are built like tanks and just work. I love my Nikons. All of my camera bodies and lenses are Nikon Brand.

Q. Are you Mac or PC?
A. Mac. Like my Nikons, they just work. They are beautiful, intuitive and fun to use.

Q. How much money can I make as a photographer?
A. This can range greatly! First I would ask myself these questions. Am I passionate about this?, Do I have the skills and discipline? Am I ready to WORK HARD? What type of photography do I want to pursue and why?

IMHO Money $$ without Meaning is pointless.

Q. What do you love most about being a photographer?
A. I get to see people at their best and happiest most often. I get to spend time building relationships and enriching others lives. I also am blessed to have this passion that I continually get to improve upon, learning new things Everyday.

Q. Who has inspired you photographically?
A. Too Many to list, but here are a few: My wife!, Mike Colon, Zack Arias, Dane Sanders,Chase Jarvis, Heather Lahtinen<--Instrumental in my humble beginnings!, Kevin Kubota, Joe Buissink, Jeremy Cowart and many more.

I know there are more questions and I will post. If you have any questions, please ask in the comments or shoot me an email and I will update.

Hope this helps you :-)

5 comments:

  1. I have one more question to ask: How do I become studly like you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done DB. Always going the extra mile for no reason than going the extra mile. You're a good man, my friend. ...and an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the Q & A's. I have been meaning to ask why you use Nikon since I am leaning that way and good to hear why. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two more of my inspirational Heroes. Kenny Kim and Tomas Flint! Doesn't get much better than you guys. Love you both :-)

    ReplyDelete