Monday, May 25, 2009

Inaugural Post - David Burke's SNL

Hi All!

Welcome to my Blog for Photographers, 'David Burke's Shoot N Learn'. We will call it SNL for short :-). I am so excited to start posting here! I think of photography, gear, tech, stories and life constantly so I want to share with all of you. We will post videos, thoughts, techniques, tutorials, etc... I encourage you all to share as well. If you have an idea/video to share, please send and we will post.

About a year ago I decided to start a group in Pittsburgh, affectionately called 'Shoot N Learn'. This great group of people has inspired me to be a better photographer, but more importantly a better person.

I always look forward to our get togethers because we get to reconnect in person instead of cyberworld. I always learn something new and typically make a new friend in the process. I can't say enough good things about this group. Thank you all!

This year I have not been able to organize the gatherings as much as I would like, because some other priorities needed to be addressed. This has left a void for me. I cannot wait to get together again!

Because our group is pretty large, it is hard to actually go out and "Shoot n Learn" each time we are together. I have been thinking about better ways to stay in touch and keep this going more consistently and globally. I thought it would be a great idea to start this blog to post video tips, resources, links, etc... so that we can continue to share with each other and anyone else that is interested.

I still want to get together at least bi-monthly so that we can talk shop, have guest speakers, and continue to build our community for the better.

I treasure you all and look forward to seeing you soon. I am planning a June GTG so please stay tuned.

Without further adieu, I want to share a video for our inaugural post. This video shows my typical wedding equipment setup. It is not a complete 'What's in the Bag?' (this will come), rather a summary of my most used equipment that I carry with me throughout the day.

Hope you enjoy! Please share with anyone that may benefit.



Links:
Nikon USA
Shootsac
Think Tank Photo
Made with Flip Ultra HD

6 comments:

  1. Happy inaugural post!

    I'm so glad to see you doing this. I've found twitter and its ilk to be great for keeping in touch with other photogs and swapping tips, but it's just no substitute for getting to talk to actual people.

    I'm sure this blog will be another great resource.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David!

    Very cool new blog and post! This past weekend Sandy Yetter and I teamed up to shoot and second shoot a sweet wedding out at fallingwater and we would like to ammend your gear list according to the worst case scenario guide to weddings.

    Vitally important equipment:

    1. tripod bag choc full of umbrellas - you can carry this across your back like a quiver of arrows - very important if you and your wedding party find yourself on the brink of a thunderstorm in the middle of the fayette county woods.

    2. cell phone with live weather radar capability apps. This is vital to have on your person at all times - that way you can give your group an ETA to the storm and encourage faster cooperation/call for help/transport

    3. Bug spray - this is a seasonal favorite - fits perfectly into pocket number 5 of the shootsac. Especially handy if your couple's ceremony takes place in the middle of the woods surrounded by fresh flowers.


    4. Hiking boots - to help you scale the terrain to get "the shot".

    5. Hydration pack and a tower of plastic cups - in case your formal family shots take place in the middle of the woods and the caterer would need a pack mule to get you water. Helps to keep you from passing out and the wedding party from melting in 80 degree temps with high humidity.


    LOL seriously though we had a GREAT time - I can't thank you enough for hosting SNL because that's where we met and now we email and talk all the time and once in a while get to work together. I know that a photog from the south hills and a photog from Indiana, PA would have never met otherwise :-)

    Hope to see you soon! - Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent, my friend! Keep up the bold and beautiful work you do!
    BIG love, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda you are hilarious! That sounds like some good tips. As if my shootsac isn't heavy enough. I think I need to invest in a Man Bag!

    Miss you all. Thanks for the comments everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have another Fayette County-ite? Amazing!

    ReplyDelete